|Address:||1840 N Church Rd, Liberty, MO 64068, USA|
The one star is due to the room being clean when we arrived. The only good part of our stay. We were placed in a room directly by the elevator on one side and freeway on the other. We asked to be moved, but the manager said they were completely booked, which is highly doubtful, but we were stuck. The manager also stated all double queen rooms were on the freeway side. Very Noisy all night! We went to the pool and our girls began coughing very strongly, our eyes were burning, and we noticed numerous kids coughing. Mentioned the high chlorine to the pool attendant and she stated people complain constantly, but it never changes. We had to go back to our room and bathe immediately to get the smell off. Next morning, breakfast area was dirty and had to request attendant to clean tables. Numerous open tables, but all filthy. Next night, tried the pool again. Girls swimming for short time, when I noticed the pool attendant cleaning something by the pool. Went over and it was vomit! There was vomit in four separate areas and even chunks floating in the pool! This is not the hotels fault (although I believe it was from the high chlorine), but the attendant did not clear the pool or bother to tell my children to get out of the VOMIT pool! Needless to say, we left and went straight to the baths again! Will never stay here again. The slide is not worth all the other negatives.
This hotel was great for our weekend family trip. The pool area is perfect for kids. There is a decent size area thats only 1ft deep with fountains, buckets that drop water and a smile slide- good for ages 1-4 to walk around in since its so shallow. Then attached to the baby pool are a few steps that lead into the "deep" pool but even that is only 3ft deep. It was perfect for my 5.5yr to swim around in and could still touch the bottom of the pool. The water slide was also a huge perk. There is a height limit at 46" I think? Theres also an attendant overseeing the slide so only the required height gets past. No floaters, googles or pairs going down the slide. It goes out of the hotel during the day it has light shining in and at night it lights up. The hotel itself was also great- a little dinged up here and there, could use a coat of paint and new carpet but other wise the beds were very clean and rooms up to date. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Breakfast offered many options. Good location- about 20 minutes from Union station or crown plaza. About 5 minutes from a Price chopper. About 15 minutes from a nice shopping and food area. About 30 minutes to IKEA. We will definitely return to this hotel on our next visit to KC.
I would rate this a zero if I could. Seriously the WORST experience ever with any hotel I have ever stayed at!! Customer service from the jump was horrible!!!! Drove 3 hours and then when we arrive we ran into nothing but problems when I even called and asked several questions before making my reservation. Our room was disgusting!! Stains and food stuck to the floor. and to top it off the room smelled HORRIBLE!! Breakfast wasnt fresh and my yogurt had expired.. Then they charged us a $250 smoking fee because I threw away a empty box of cigerrates in the trash in our hotel since there wasnt a trash can outside.... so that was their proof of me "smoking" in my room which i NEVER did. Then when I complained about our room, the smell, the $250 fine... or complained about anything they said "sorry, nothing I can do about it. Staffing was rude and ridiculously unfocused/untrained on their jobs! Playing on their phones instead of helping customers, etc. I really do not recommend this hotel at all!
We had a very positive experience at this hotel on 11/20/2015. We left Milwaukee, WI at 11 am that day and arrived at the hotel at 10:06 pm. We just lost our dog unexpectedly the night before and drove through a blizzard. We were exhausted. Amanda greeted us enthusiastically. She could tell right away we were very tired and asked us what we were looking for. We needed a king for one night. We explained our situation and she moved us from a room on the first floor to a room on the third floor so it would be nice and quiet and we could get some rest. We were very impressed by Amanda and how she treated us. We ran into her the next morning getting on the elevator. She asked us if we were able to get some rest and we thanked her and said yes. Amanda did a great job welcoming us into your hotel and we will recommend it to others.
HIGH LEVELS OF CHLORINE IN WATER PARK. BE READY FOR YOUR SINUSES TO BURN AFTER WATER PARK USE. After two hours of the waterpark I decided to retire to my room. I had to shower three times to get the chlorine smell off my body. Very potent!!!!!!!!!!! Beds were highly uncomfortable. There was a quarter inch wire on the inside of the mattress that you had to overcome to get into bed. Its like it make u feel trapped. Other wise the facility was clean. Nice rooms despict the horrible bed. One of the best FREE continental breakfasts I have eaten, except cold bisquits and runny gravy were disgusting. Need a better quality coffee too. The rust color wasnt appetizing. Maybe all the chlorine rusted the coffee pots. Front desk and hoysekeeping were outstanding. Three stars!
A Private User
The bathroom door in our room would not shut, which was a major problem since its location is right next to the door to the hall way. If someone was using the bathroom anyone in the hallway would see if another guest entered the room. The continental breakfast was cold, and when my husband tried to warm it up in the microwave we discovered the microwave did not work. The room smelled very foul, and we discovered that the previous guests had stocked the refrigirator with food, that was now very rotten, and the staff had never cleaned it out. Really makes you wonder what else they didnt clean!!!!! When I voiced my concerns to the staff at the desk they simply handed me my bill and refused to even acknowledge the problems with our stay.
Grandkids had a blast. Pool is over chlorinated to the point that your eyes burn. You need it though with the all too many unsupervised kids in the pool. No life guards, no hotel staff. Not sure how great of an idea it is. Wish they would keep the kids out of the hot tub at least. Foam in hot tub is called TDS. Total resolved solids. You can guess what that is. My family owns a pool company. I know what that is. Room was half way clean. They shuffle families in and out of the revolving door as fast as they can to use the pool and party area in the pool. Its really... Unsanitary. Accident waiting to happen. Surprised it hasnt and the health department hasnt closed it down yet.
The hotel was great! Lobby, rooms, breakfast area, pool, all areas are very clean. My only complaint about our stay was the night slide attendant. Absolutely none of the rules were being followed, and several could have caused serious injury to those using the slide. The worst was the adults being allowed to ride 4 at a time (no chains allowed, and 300lb limit). The slide rocked violently back and firth as they went down and any child that was still trying to get out of the way at the bottom would get plowed down! Meanwhile, the attendant at there smiling like it was all in good fun. .....she needs a different position at the hotel or retrained in the importance of her job.